While studying Xen Server today I got a error today with the xenserver that I work with to learn. That it ran out of room on the SR.
It took me awhile to learn that you cannot just do a xe vm-destroy uuid= . You have to do a vdi-destroy as well to kill the vdi to the vm.
GREAT! I can do this.
I did it well. I killed the only working vm on the xenserver as well. WHOOPS.
So I caused Customer Data loss (virtually). It was a important lesson on what not to do.
And it’s a good thing we are not allowed to run xe vdi-destroy uuid= on a actually RS hypervisor.
I could see mistakes happening left and right. And Cowboying all over the place.